The Western Region of CSA is, geographically, the largest in North America, spanning three time zones, two nations and the Pacific Ocean. It covers Alaska, Alberta, California, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, the Yukon and Northwest Territories, Oregon, Saskatchewan, Washington, and Wyoming.
CSA Western members are working professionals in costume or fashion with many serving as faculty members in higher education and as museum curators and staff. Others are enthusiasts who passionately study, design, conserve, or construct objects of clothing or other wearable materials. Our members also collect, wear or deal in vintage clothing or ethnic clothing. Many are theatrical costumers, motion picture and television costume designers or theme park costume designers. CSA Western offers many opportunities to meet and learn from colleagues and to meet other members throughout the nation.
In addition to the benefits of National Membership, the Western Region offers a stipend Award for Student Membership, the Jack Hanford Summer Internship Award, and Events and Programs throughout each year.
Recent programs have included:
• A gallery tour and talk of The Art of Bulgari: La Dolce Vita & Beyond 1950-1990 at the de Young Museum in San Francisco
• A behind-the-scenes tour of Western Costume Company in North Hollywood, followed by a visit to the FIDM Museum and Galleries for the 29th Annual Academy Award Costume
• Curator tour of Fabulous: Ten Years of FIDM Museum Acquisitions, 2000-2010 and behind-the-scenes lectures at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, Los Angeles
• A behind-the-scenes tour of Art Conservation de Rigeuer in San Francisco; a look at the work involved in care of collections and art conservation
• A Curator talk and gallery tour of Kimono for a Modern Age, 1900-1960 at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art
• Our semi-annual Regional Symposium 2014, From the Street to the Catwalk: Cultural Influences on Contemporary Fashion, was held at the Museum of Contemporary Crafts in Portland, Oregon and included a reception, exhibition tour, scholarly research papers by our members, and post-symposium tours.
Whatever your interest in costume and fashion, CSA will deepen your knowledge and enrich your experience and connect you with other enthusiasts.
Western Region President, 2014-2016